*Detour (woohoo?)


Not again...


That pesky "road closed" sign seems to find you when you need it the least.

There are a few things that seem to catch my eye when I'm driving. One of them is flashing lights of any kind, another is oddly colorful vehicles, but the one thing that instills dread into my heart more than a policeman sitting by the side of the road, is those bright orange "road work ahead" signs. 

(just kidding, I never speed. Well...almost never)

Those signify much more than a repair, they signify waiting in line, dealing with flaggers (but really, who wouldn't be cranky after standing outside all day with nothing to do but hold a sign ), and possibly being late to wherever you had intended to go. 

For example, the Main Street bridge replacement in Lynden. It seems like it is taking eternity, and I hardly go that way, It must be crazy for the people who live there.

But yet, can you imagine life without detours? (or road construction for that matter)

We can get so annoyed at the inconvenience of a detour, we miss the advantages. Think about it, if drivers were to defy the signs that lead to a bridge that no longer exists, they would end up driving straight into the water. If they blew by the warnings, they could end up getting hit by a gravel truck.

Now, I must say, that I am one of the most impatient drivers out there, my siblings will be more than happy to tell you, I will yell at the people in front of me (even though I am fully aware that they can't hear me, thank you very much) for just taking an extra 2 seconds at an intersection. This is something that I should seriously be working on. Because really, who knows? that extra 2 seconds may have saved my life.

Detours may cause a bit of a headache, but they are nothing compared to what would happen if they were not put in place. Being late to an important meeting isn't the end of our worlds, but driving into the side of a bulldozer just might be.

I guess the point I am trying to get across is: don't try to force your way through trials or delays, instead, be patient (and trust me, I know how hard that can be) and let God direct you paths.

Proverbs 3:6 says, "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

A straight path may not be the nicest, or most fun, ( I mean really, how exciting is a road that never turns?) but it is the safest, especially if it is being maintained not by the county transportation department, but by the Creator and Maintainer of all life.

My deepest appreciation for the time you hath spent perusing my blog,

*Lea

*sorry about the lame title by the way, there are only so many ways that someone can be creative with the word "detour"

Comments

Popular Posts