*The Friend Zone

Take a look at this picture:


Since I have now sat here for 20 minutes trying to perfectly describe the friendship I have with the two individuals with me in this (slightly old, but still awesome) picture. I'll admit it, I just can't.

I have known both Courtney (middle) and Megan (right) for the entirety of my life. We have literally grown up together. And while some very good friends have come and gone, these two have been stuck with me for 17 years.


Here's a picture of us at one of our many sleepovers over the years. Hopefully you can tell which one is which :)

These girls know me better than anyone else on the planet. (Well, except maybe my parents, but they changed my diapers, and it's just not quite the same) I love them dearly, and I spend a really large percentage of my time with them.

The problem is, while friends may be forever, they aren't always around.

Courtney is heading off on her own journey pretty soon, and staying here while she goes off to college (in 3 weeks!) is going to be one of the toughest things I've done in a long time. And next year, if Megan and I end up parting ways, it's going to be painful all over again. And while I knew that it was going to have to happen eventually, it's still gonna be rough.

You see, nothing in this world stays the same. (I know, it's a shocker)

And since that simple fact is almost enough to bring me to tears right here and now, It's pretty hard to remember the Friend who's been with me for even longer that Megan and Courtney. It's pretty easy to take Him for granted, because He's always been there. He's never left, and He never will.

Joseph Scriven had it best when he wrote the hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"
This phrase says it all.

"Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakeness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer."

Bottom Line(s): As well as Courtney and Megan know me, and as well as I know them, we can't have each other's  backs all the time, even as much as I would like to, it's impossible. We won't always be together, I won't always be able to tell them everything, and they won't always know me better than anyone in the world. But that's all okay, because Jesus isn't bound by the confines of this world. Jesus will always be there, always have my back, and always bear my burdens. No matter what.

I only wish I could truthfully say that I was as faithful to Him as He is to me.

*Lea

(pst, Megan and Courtney: sorry I didn't get your permission to write about you, I guess you're just going to have to get over it :)




















Comments

Popular Posts