*The Beach

They say that blood runs through my veins.

That blood carries the DNA of 3 generations of fishermen. I grew up watching the rooster tail spew up behind the outboard. I sat by the grill as Papa taught me the finer points of dressing salmon. I held the trophy as I cashed my first place derby check. We spent summer weekends dropping crab pots and island hopping. Every night as I fall asleep, I think about ocean sunrises as the fog dissipates across the sound. I love the ocean. 

One of the best parts about the ocean is the beach. There's something addicting about being on the precipice of the sea. Not fully land, but not fully ocean, it's the twilight of destinations. 

Puget Sound's beaches suck.
With the exception of a few, most of the beaches I grew up on were rocky and covered in slippery seaweed and debris. You spent 2 minutes in the water, and then you made your way back up to the car to dry off and warm up. The first time I saw a legitimate sandy beach was in 8th grade on my first visit to California. 

Then I moved to Oregon.

I'm in college. My life is pretty much nuts all the time. I'll be the first one to say that any day away is much appreciated. However, there's just something special about taking a day off, and making the 1 1/2 hour drive to the beach. It's not just a day off. Its a beach day. 

Walking barefoot over the glittery expanse of sand is a feeling I want to remember forever. The salty wind drives away the stress that's built up in my face. My lungs clear and fill. Everything is just as it should be. All I had to do was go to the ocean.  

They say that blood runs through my veins
I say it's salt water.
♡Lea

Comments

Popular Posts